[FOM] New Foundations consistency problem

T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 27 18:03:43 EDT 2013

The proof as it stands is relative to ZFC but this is overkill. The idea
seems to be that, properly optimised, it will show that NF is consistent
relative to Simple Type theory (or Mac Lane set theory) plus infinity,
which would confirm an old hunch of Boffa. Thus NF would not prove the
existence of sets of size aleph_omega.