[FOM] Unreasonable effectiveness

Dustin Wehr wehr at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Nov 5 22:18:09 EST 2013

Timothy,
Do we think that Peano Arithmetic is "unreasonably effective" in the study
of the natural numbers?
That is a special case of the question we're talking about, if you accept
the view that Max Tegmark nicely explains in his response to Wigner's
thesis. The Wikipedia entry on Wigner's page has a good summary:
"A different response, advocated by Physicist Max
Tegmark<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Tegmark> in
2007, is that physics is so successfully described by mathematics because the
physical world *is *completely
mathematical<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis>,
isomorphic to a mathematical structure, and that we are simply uncovering
this bit by bit.[6]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unreasonable_Effectiveness_of_Mathematics_in_the_Natural_Sciences#cite_note-tegmark-6>
In
this interpretation, the various approximations that constitute our current
physics theories are successful because simple mathematical structures can
provide good approximations of certain aspects of more complex mathematical
structures. In other words, our successful theories are not mathematics
approximating physics, but mathematics approximating mathematics."

>From that view, Wigner's thesis boils down to "simple mathematical
structures can provide good approximations of certain aspects of more
complex mathematical structures" (which _is_ remarkable), and I'm wondering
if maybe that is the place you should start in your search for an
interesting definition of "unreasonably effective".

Dustin Wehr