[FOM] Unreasonable effectiveness

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Nov 5 18:26:04 EST 2013

Here is another way of organizing a response to Wigner's question of whether mathematics is unreasonably effective in the natural sciences.

First, separate the metaphysical from the metamathematical by dividing it into two questions:

1) Is the Universe fundamentally mathematical, and if so why?

2) What is the relationship between

(a) the mathematics we can effectively do,

(b) the mathematics relevant to the natural sciences, and

(c) all mathematics,

and in particular, is (a) more closely related to (b) than we might otherwise expect?

The first question can be bypassed, because on this forum we are competent in metamathematics but not metaphysics (is anyone?). Let us take as given that the Universe is fundamentally mathematical, and that the natural sciences (meaning "the process of obtaining knowledge about and understanding of the universe") are based in mathematics.

To address the second question, I start by noting that I have no reason not to suppose that (a) and (b) are each contained in an initial segment of all mathematics.

The next step is to note that, by anthropic arguments, we should expect that (b) must be extensive enough to allow for the Universe to be inhabited by minds like ours. If we accept a form of the Strong AI thesis that systems that work like Turing machines can be minds like ours, then  (b) seems much more extensive, because much simpler models (such as cellular automata) suffice to produce minds.

Without the strong AI thesis, I do not know how we would model "mathematicians" (creative ones, as distinct from automated theorem-provers), and I can't answer how effective mathematics "ought to be", thus failing to shed much light on Wigner's question.

With the strong AI thesis, we can talk about

(a') the mathematics capable of being discovered, developed, and applied to natural sciences, by beings that can be modeled as Turing machines interacting with an environment related to our physics,

which is contained in

(a'')  the mathematics capable of being discovered and developed, by beings that can be modeled as Turing machines.

(a') is roughly speaking the intersection of (a'') and (b), and lies between (a) and (b), and the question has now become "how close is (a') to (b), and should we have expected that?

The experience of mathematicians and physicists over the centuries has been that both (b) and (a') were seen to be much more extensive than had previously been understood.

On the one hand,  there is a common feeling that (b) is not unimaginably vast, while (a'') is (since Godel) considered unlimited in principle, so that we should not be surprised to see (a') approach (b).

On the other hand, even if (b) is only an initial segment of mathematics, it may contain questions that are unanswerable according to now-standard metamathematical investigation. In particular, if physically measurable sequences are uncomputable, human mathematics (a'') fails to be effective in the natural sciences in the standard meaning of the word "effective" and there is a gulf between (a') and (b). In this case the effectiveness we see is unreasonable because we are at an unreasonably early stage in our understanding, and once we understand the importance of the uncomputable in physics, we will no longer regard (human) mathematics as "effective"

-- JS