[FOM] Unreasonable effectiveness

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Tue Nov 5 12:19:25 EST 2013

Dear FOM-readers,

One point of view or aspect regarding "unreasonable effectiveness" has perhaps not been addressed, namely robustness.

There is a lot of informal mathematical reasoning in physics, often involving an intuitive infinitesimal calculus.  While this practice
would in general produce false results (see Cauchy's well-known mistake), for the specific purpose of physics (modeling and predicting the physical word) this practice
works surprisingly (unreasonably?) well.   Somehow, the math used in physics is very "fault-tolerant".

Idealization is another aspect of physics (and the exact sciences).  Again, there is a part of mathematics which can accommodate
this practice, i.e. small errors do not necessarily blow up and make the results meaningless.

I would go as far as claiming that any "unreasonable effectiveness" is in large part due to the robustness of the mathematics
used in physics:  There are countless way errors can creep in, but somehow the math still produces meaningful results due to its robustness.
By contrast, e.g. in philosophy, arguments are much more non-robust in that they often amount to splitting hairs .
(This is the naive view of a mathematician/physicist for the sake of argument and is not meant to belittle philosophy or its value).
Another example is art or literature where a dozen critics can have thirteen opinions on "what the artist meant with this piece of art".

For these reasons, I do not think an account of physics can only be about certain "structures" and the mathematics on those structures,
as these structures are (highly likely) only approximately realized in reality (in answer to the below email).  One has to consider structures, the mathematics on those
structures, and an account of how well the math still works if one deviates (slightly) from said structures, i.e robustness.

Perhaps one can rephrase "unreasonable effectiveness" in terms of robustness:  "How is it that mathematics produces such
robust tools?" (as opposed to other human endavours).

Best,

Sam Sanders