[FOM] Fwd: Unreasonable effectiveness

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 12:14:28 EST 2013

Hi Timothy,

Bas Spitters has forwarded Jacques' answer about our work (thanks
Jacques, Bas). Here are some more comments.

> I am not sure exactly how this might go, but here is a vague outline.
> Theorems are built on lemmas.  We want to construct some kind of model of
> the probability that Lemma X will be "useful" for proving Theorem Y.  This
> model would be time-dependent; that is, at any given time t, we would have
> a probabilistic model, trained on the corpus of mathematics known up to
> time t, that could be used to predict future uses of lemmas in theorems.
> This model would represent "reasonable effectiveness."  Then the thesis of
> "unreasonable effectiveness" would be that this model really does evolve
> noticeably over time---that the model at time t systematically
> underestimates uses of Lemma X in Theorem Y at times t' > t.

> I am wondering if anyone else has thought along these lines.  Also I am
> wondering if there is any plausible way of using the growing body of
> computerized proofs to make the above outline more precise.

Definitely. The main experiment is ten years old, see section 4.2
("Mizar Proof Advisor") of this 2004 JAR paper [1], particularly
figure 4.  When a naive-Bayes predictor was trained on all previous
Mizar proofs (at that time there were about 30k proofs and 40k
formulas in total), 70% of the lemmas needed for the next proof were
on average ranked in the top 100 by the predictor. This has been
improved over the last "machine-learning" decade. Kernel-based
predictor on a smaller Mizar-based corpus ranked 80% needed lemmas in
the top 30 ([2], Figure 1). Applying linguistic modelling like inverse
document frequency (IDF) raised the combined learning/ATP success rate
on Hales' Flyspeck to about 47% recently [3].

One caveat is that the "lemmas" and "proofs" in existing formal
corpora like Mizar and Flyspeck are often more fine-grained than what
"normal mathematicians" call "lemmas" and "proofs". Still, as
mentioned in [3], I think this shows that "real-world" math is in this
aspect fairly non-random (though I admire Chaitin's worst-case
randomness results). I quite believe that the Penrose-style arguments
about inability of computers to do mathematical thinking will be
refuted in this century by combination of learning from large math
corpora and smart learning-guided search techniques.

> There is of course the problem that the "ontogeny" of computerized
> proofs does not exactly recapitulate the "phylogeny" of how the
> theorems were arrived at historically, but nevertheless maybe
> something can still be done.

Alternative proofs are a very interesting issue.  Sometimes the
learning/deductive systems can find quite different proofs, see
e.g. section 6 in [4], or the paper [5]. Then we can choose from which
proofs to learn and how: they are all correct, but some may be better
for future problem solving in different contexts. This makes math
a pretty interesting AI domain [6].

Best,
Josef

[1]: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10817-004-6245-1