[FOM] Unreasonable effectiveness

Steven Ericsson-Zenith steven at iase.us
Sat Nov 2 20:00:49 EDT 2013

Benjamin Peirce, who in 1870 said:  "In every form of material
manifestation, there is a corresponding form of human thought, so that the
human mind is as wide in its range of thought as the physical universe in
which it thinks." (Linear Associative Algebra) argued that it is for logic,
as a natural science, to build the bridge between pure mathematics and the
physical sciences. I argue that he set his son Charles, upon this task -
and this led to Charles' development of pragmaticism and logic as semeiotic
theory.

Benjamin, however, had in mind that Hamilton's, newly devised, quaternions
promised a way ahead. This was a path that Charles tried but abandoned but
it was also pursued by his elder brother James, who took over Benjamin's
chair in mathematics at Harvard, and, like his father served that
institution for 50 years. James was the world's leading expert on
quaternions when he died in 1909 (although the subject was out of favor at
the time).  Benjamin would point out, I think, that both quantitative and
qualitative  approaches are necessary. His 19th century reference to the
latter, as an example, being the work of Boole.

The problem has been to find a better way of dealing with the qualitative.
I am hopeful in this case that the physical sciences can aid us through
developments in biophysics.

Regards,
Steven