[FOM] Unreasonable effectiveness

Antonino Drago drago at unina.it
Sat Nov 2 17:20:35 EDT 2013

I seem that Chow's premise (i.e. the effective existence in the history of
science, of a persisting matching of mathematics with natural science) is
ill-stated.

Wigner supported the idea of the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics
in theoretical physics by referring to the mathematics of differential
equations.
First. No whatsoever mathematical theory is suitable for a specific natural
science. Along centuries physics developed differential equations, but (pace
Rashevsky) last century theoretical biology started by means of an at all
different kinds mathematics.
Second. Wigner's consideration was anticipated by M. Born, who was surprised
that thermodynamics resisted to be formulated by means of differential
equations. He asked to the friend C. Carathéodory to provide a suitable
system. The latter suggested a new formulation of thermodynamics, but 1) it
starts from abstract, unoperative axioms, as Carathéodory himself
recognised; 2) the differential equation is rather the resolution of the
problem of the exact differential (so, a 1st order equation, like Fourier's
equation of heat transport; very different from the reversible equations).
Third. The time in which Born suggested the problem, was just before that
theoretical physics changed abruptly its mathematics from the continuous one
to the discrete one (se the introduction of 1905 Enistein's paper on
quanta); which was the the mathematics of chemistry since two centuries.
Fourth. The mathematics in physics changed again abruptly in '60s, after the
discovery of the non parity by Yang and Lee; rather than differential
equations, symmetries became the basic mathematical technique (for
elementary particles, e.g.).
Fifth. Also the effectiveness of the mathematics of the symmeties  is not
universal. There is no formulation of quantum mechanics entirely based on
symmetries (although Weyl tried it since the beginnings of the theory). By
reflecting about all past physical theories, A.O. Barut wrote a fine
reflection on the complementarity of the two mathematical techniques in
theoretical physics.
In conclusion, in order to develop a scientific theory of nature, one has to
try to apply or even to invent (e.g. the infinitesimal analysis for Neton
mechanics) one among several kinds mathematical theories, without any
persisteance if not along some periods of time (and so contributing to some
paradigms). Hence, there is no constant historical phenomenon to be
parametrized.
Best greetings
Antonino Drago