[FOM] Shinichi Mochizuki on set-theoretical/foundational issues

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Sat May 25 09:24:34 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:03 PM, <MartDowd at aol.com> wrote, among other
things:

**
>  I suspect the terminology "set-theoretic universes" is
> inaccurate, and the author might mean that the data is heterogeneous,.

Something like this is further confirmed when the "FAQ on Interuniversalty"
that Alasdair referred to, which is by Go Yamashita and is posted on
Shinichi Mochizuki's website, says we can consider a Fourier transform as a
kind of change of universe.

Go Yamashita is explicit that "This informal note is just my opinion.
 There is a possibility that it does not precisely reflect Shinichi
Mochizuki's thought."  But it does seem that change of universe here means
any change to a new viewpoint on the data.

Colin