[FOM] Micro Set Theory

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Wed May 15 11:23:17 EDT 2013

If the informal proof can be translated into a formal proof with a blowup that is less than fully exponential, then V_7 is enough, because we only need the formal proof to have length (2^65536)/k where k is a relatively small blowup factor to code up ZFC-proofs as integers.

ZFC is powerful and flexible enough that I doubt extremely strongly that any "informal" proof that mathematicians would accept, that is formalizable in ZFC at all, would require a fully exponential blowup. Harvey has shown that there are fairly simple propositions following from large cardinals which have ZFC proofs but only of infeasible size; however, the arguments for the TRUTH of those propositions depend on the large cardinals and are not simply informal versions of ZFC-formalizable proofs.

In other words, our informal proofs outstrip formal knowledge of V_7 only to the extent they outstrip ZFC itself.

I think V_6 is where the action is, but I'd like to know if there is anything interesting that V_5 can tell us.

-- JS