[FOM] Eliminating AC

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Sat Mar 23 16:34:05 EDT 2013

Well this gives a global well ordering "definable" if you take all ordinals
as parameters, so in general I think this is not what someone would mean by
eliminating choice from your reasoning.   You replace choice by appeal to a
moderately arcane idea, not closer to ordinary arithmetic than choice is.

I look at it the other way, as proving that choice is unobjectionable here
since it is not a genuine assumption in proofs of arithmetic statements --
its availability is a theorem of ZF (without choice).

To use Nik's terms, whatever extravagance is involved in using ZF, say to
handle sheaves in a cohomological argument, it is not more extravagant to
use ZFC.

Colin