[FOM] Eliminating AC

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Thu Mar 21 18:30:39 EDT 2013

Tell the mathematician that Gödel showed we can restrict set theory to just
the sets that are definably constructed in a certain way, and even if we do
not assume choice in general it holds for these definable sets, since we
can actually define a choice function for any definably constructed
problem.  But finite sets are all definable in this way (indeed they are
all definable in the most naive way).  So all of arithmetic can be done in
this restricted set theory where we can get choice without making it an
assumption.

Colin