[FOM] From theorems of infinity to axioms of infinity

MartDowd at aol.com MartDowd at aol.com
Sat Mar 16 12:59:50 EDT 2013

Nik,

As I said, I'm no expert, but I recall that there has been interest in
formalizing fragments of analysis in first order arithmetic.  Of  course the
contortions involved make this a subject of quite limited  interest.  One
reference concerning related subjects is
_www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/avigad/Papers/elementary.pdf_
(http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/avigad/Papers/elementary.pdf)

Regarding the power set axiom, while it is true that classical mathematics
can be carried out in the first few levels of the cumulative hierarchy,
calling  set theory a "metaphysical extravagance " seems extreme.  The main
uses of  higher levels of the cumulative hierarchy are in set theory itself.
This  has advanced far beyond its origins as a tool for making analysis
rigorous.

- Martin Dowd

In a message dated 3/15/2013 12:53:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,