[FOM] From theorems of infinity to axioms of infinity

Murray Jorgensen maj at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Mar 11 22:13:33 EDT 2013

Indeed the first paragraph of the 1910 edition of Principia Mathematica
suggests that Whitehead and Russell held these attitudes in 1910:

"THE mathematical treatment of the principles of mathematics, which is
the subject of the present work, has arisen from the conjunction of two
different studies, both in the main very modern. On the one hand we have
the work of analysts and geometers, in the way of formulating and
systematising their axioms, and the work of Cantor and others on such
matters as the theory of aggregates. On the other hand we have symbolic
logic, which, after a necessary period of growth, has now, thanks to
Peano and his followers, acquired the technical adaptability and the
logical comprehensiveness that are essential to a mathematical
instrument for dealing with what have hitherto been the beginnings of
mathematics.
 From the combination of these two studies two results emerge, namely
(1) that what were formerly taken, tacitly or explicitly, as axioms, are
either unnecessary or demonstrable; (2) that the same methods by which
supposed axioms are demonstrated will give valuable results in regions,
such as infinite number, which had formerly been regarded
as inaccessible to human knowledge. Hence the scope of mathematics is
enlarged both by the addition of new subjects and by a backward
extension into provinces hitherto abandoned to philosophy."

Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand