[FOM] Question about theoretical physics

Steve Stevenson steve at clemson.edu
Sun Jun 30 08:12:54 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Walt Read <walt.read at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before we can ask whethera physical theory is consistent in a mathematical sense, we have to ask whether it's a theory in the mathematical (formal) sense.

A philosopher of science suggested to me that the best discussion of
the role of mathematics in physics is Feynman's "The Character of
Physical Law". The first two chapters are great if I recall correctly.
The text is available from several online sources.

--
D. E. (Steve) Stevenson, PhD, Emeritus Associate Professor, Clemson University
"Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach," Aristotle.>