[FOM] Question about theoretical physics

Walt Read walt.read at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 17:39:56 EDT 2013

Physical theory is hard enough but invoking "professors of
mathematics" turns it in another direction. Before we can ask whether
a physical theory is consistent in a mathematical sense, we have to
ask whether it's a theory in the mathematical (formal) sense. If so,
what is the language? First order, second order, restricted second
order? Have we agreed on symbols, wffs, rules of inference? Do we have
effective axioms? If we're going to discuss specific values of special
constants, it should include some theory (elementary?) of the reals.
Of the integers? (At least for quantum theories?) Since the usual use
of a physics theory is to compute values of real-valued functions,
presumably a theory of such functions and such computation should be
included in the physics theory. Of course, in principle this could all
be done and the consistency question approached, if not necessarily
answered, but I don't think this kind of formal theory is what
physicists have in mind when they talk about a theory of, e.g., QED.

-Walt