[FOM] Qustion About Church

Harry Deutsch hdeutsch at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 14 17:38:31 EDT 2013

Dear Bill Greenberg, Yes.  I think my remark that the word "non-synonymous" could be omitted was false, since if 'a' and 'b' are synonymous, then a=b and we know that 'a' and 'b' are co-referential.  Church's question concerns specifically concurrent names that are not synonymous. However his last sentence is: " The difficulty lies in a method by which to determine in regard to each pair of primitive constants whether they are concurrent."  Here it is "each pair of primitive constants" not just those that are not synonymous.  What is the answer to Church's "open question?"  Best, Harry