[FOM] Andrej Bauer's "rejected posts" and the closing of a thread

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Wed Jun 12 14:35:42 EDT 2013

In general I discourage meta-discussions on FOM, but precisely
because Andrej Bauer was such a valued member of the FOM community
that I hated to lose, and because there were such strong feelings, I
thought it best to air it all.

First I want to explain that only in egregious cases do I reject a
message without consulting the editorial board. Likewise I don't
close a thread without consulting them. I do sometimes ask that a
message be rewritten to avoid derogatory language I find inappropriate.

I am 85 years old, and my memory is not to be trusted, but to the
best of my recollection I haven't rejected any of Andrej Bauer's post
for quite some time. It used to be the case that I did reject
messages that contained any HTML code (which modern email programs
tend to include by default along with a plain text version) insisting
on the plain text we require. I stopped rejecting messages for this
reason when I found that the "mailman" program that FOM uses is now
configured to automatically delete the HTML component from messages
that include such.

I suspect strongly that the messages Andrej Bauer complained as
having been rejected for reasons he found incomprehensible were
rejected because of an HTML component. In such cases my rejection
message included a sample of the HTML source code. If this is indeed
what happened it was quite a while ago.

I would be delighted if Andrej Buer were to reconsider.

Martin

I suspect that the rejections Andrej Bauer comnplains of

Martin Davis
Professor Emeritus, Courant-NYU
Visiting Scholar, UC Berkeley
eipye + 1 = 0