[FOM] Question about theoretical physics

Walt Read walt.read at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 11:04:35 EDT 2013

So where is the FOM question here? Maybe we need a reverse
mathematical physics, with a less-shaky notion of mathematics than the
usual naive view. (Call it "what do physicists want?"). "Algorithm"
sounds right, under some reasonable interpretation, but "to any
desired precision" sounds too strong, given that the experimental
measurements to which the predictions will be compared won't be made
with unbounded precision. Do we need to say something about the reals
or real complexity? ("... and the prediction can be made before the
end of the world as we know it") Any experimental measurement would
seem to be to a limited precision and within a bounded range so it
would seem that we could generally assume that physical theories will
have finite models. Do we expect any interesting consequences from
adding an Axiom of Infinity, or of infinite precision, to a physical
theory? (At least any non-paradoxical ones?)

Physicists have a lot of difficult questions and grab whatever pieces
of math that seem to help (and even to make up stuff that makes
mathematicians squirm!). But the difficulties have also led them to
debate the nature of physical theory and to look more seriously at the
recent developments in logic and foundations. FOM has greatly
clarified the nature of mathematics and even brought new results. If
FOM is to have any effect on physical theory, we have to find a way to
connect traditional physics practice with 20th-century mathematical
developments.

-Walt