[FOM] : Questions on Cantor

Frode Bjørdal frode.bjordal at ifikk.uio.no
Thu Jan 31 06:26:30 EST 2013

Thanks,

"Von Neumann in turn (in his "Eine Axiomatisierung der Mengenlehre",
Journal fur die reine und angewandte Mathematik 154 (1925), 219-240;
English translation by Stefan Bauer-Mengelberg & Dagfinn Follesdal in Jean
van Heijenoort (ed), From Frege to Godel: A Source Book in Mathematical
Logic, 1879-1931 (Cambridge, Mass.,  1967), 393-413) clarified and
formalized Zermelo's distinction between sets which are "definit" and those
which are not or have Definitheit and those which do not; that is, a proper
class is a set having a definite property."

My compatriot Thoralf Skolem did this very precisely and satifactorily
around 1920. According to information related somewhere by Solomon
Feferman, according to my memory, Herman Weyl did so independently (and
unbeknownst to Skolem) around 1916.

Frode Bjørdal

--

Frode Bjørdal