[FOM] Questions on Cantor

Frode Bjørdal frode.bjordal at ifikk.uio.no
Wed Jan 30 11:19:24 EST 2013

Thank you very much for your useful accounts concerning well foundedness
and well orderings, Vaughan. Indeed, from an iterative conception of sets
the notions undeniably may be taken to have a conceptual priority ordering
as you suggest. For me it was not quite clear what you meant as Mirimanoff
did not prohibit what he called “ensembles extraordinaires” that are sets
that do not abide by the iterative conception.

When I wrote that EPR had been dismantled by physics I was very hesitant as
to whether I should include a modifier such as “prevailing”, but I decided
against it as I considered an impetus to a discussion concerning
foundational problems in physics to be somewhat untoward for this list. It
was nevertheless very interesting to me to read your considerations
concerning such issues. As many others, I do not find the prevailing
foundational ideas such as the Copenhagen interpretation entirely
satisfactory.

Frode Bjørdal