[FOM] extramathematical notions and the CH

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 01:26:28 EST 2013

I showed in my Ph.D. thesis (see the October 1990 Transactions of the AMS) that Pitowsky needed to assume some axiom going beyond ZFC to develop his version of quantum mechanics, because he needed incompatible measurements of non-commuting observables to correspond to changing the order of integration in an iterated integral, and I showed that "Strong Fubini Theorems" to the effect that iterated integrals (of non-negative functions) always match if they exist are consistent with ZFC.

However, Pitowsky's models are very unphysical. Rather than being realistic alternatives to standard quantum mechanics, they are existence proofs that certain philosophical interpretations of quantum mechanics are not, as had previously been argued, entailed by our current theories.

Physics may have much to teach us about math, but in my opinion it will have nothing to say about non-absolute math like CH. I would be very interested in criticisms of this opinion.

-- JS