[FOM] Questions on Cantor

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 27 04:12:50 EST 2013

As far as I'm aware the passage from well-ordered sets to well-founded
sets was first made by Dmitry Mirimanoff in 1917, see
http://retro.seals.ch/digbib/view?rid=ensmat-001:1917:19::170&id=hitlist&id2=&id3=

In hindsight this is an easy connection to see, but before Mirimanoff it
seems highly unlikely that anyone saw it.  In 1904 Koenig presented an
argument that some sets could not be well-ordered, which within a day or
so was shown to be unsound (the same fate that befell the
Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox a third of a century later).  Koenig
continued to write about well-ordered sets in his 1914 book, which
Mirimanoff acknowledges and then says "Je donnerai dans un autre travail
les raisons qui m'ont determine a ne pas rattacher cette etude a la
theorie de J. Konig."

By this sentence I understand that Mirimanoff is claiming priority for
the adaptation of well-ordering in general to well-founded sets in
particular.

Since this is decades after Cantor had contributed anything further of
significance to set theory, it seems safe to infer from Mirimanoff's
priority claim that Cantor had never given any thought whatsoever to the
concept of a well-founded set, since otherwise people would have noticed
long before Mirimanoff.

The closest thing before well-founded sets would seem to be Russell's
idea of a set that does not belong to itself, "un ensemble de premiere
sorte" in Mirimanoff's preamble.

Vaughan Pratt