[FOM] Ultrafinitism - help!

Irving Anellis irving.anellis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:46:12 EST 2013

Perhaps a good place to start research on ultrafinitism might be and
Troelstra and van Dalen, *Constructivism in Mathematics*, who characterize
ultrafinitism as not allowing even "potential infinity". I'm not certain
how this relates to the Finite Mathematics program of the late Nikolai
Shanin, who spoke about the program at the 8th International Congress of
Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science in Moscow in 1987, and
described it, as I remember, as constructive mathematics without
constructive foundations.

The last I heard (about 2 or 3 years ago), incidentally, Essenin-Vol'pin
was still living in the Boston, Massachusetts area, but is apparently not
connected any longer with any academic institution.

--
Irving H. Anellis
Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis