[FOM] A proof that ZFC has no any omega-models

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 11:30:02 EST 2013

Eskew makes a useful distinction. If we want to justify mathematical practice, there are two distinct types of critics to answer: those who question the ontological assumptions of modern math as formalized in ZFC, and those who question the concrete arithmetical consequences of those assumptions. Both types of critics have valid epistemological concerns.

I am sympathetic to the first kind of critic because, in my opinion, there is no way we can obtain true knowledge about very large infinite sets. Even if we knew somehow that the existence of a measurable cardinal Kappa is consistent with ZFC, we can't tell whether there "really is" such a large set because of the possibility of deflating the "universe" down to V_Kappa or even to a much smaller submodel. Kronecker famously said "God created the integers, all else is the work of Man", but that gets the epistemology backwards: God can know what the true situation is about the Higher Infinite but we can only be confident about concrete arithmetical statements. I don't think we will run into any trouble by assuming the ZFC axioms, but I won't pretend there isn't an act of faith involved in accepting them as true or even as meaningful.

The second kind of critic is making more scientifically based objections. I can agree with this critic about the meaningfuless of statements of arithmetic, and can argue that the arithmetical consequences of ZFC (or just ZF since Choice is dispensable for arithmetical statements) are actually "true", but ultimately I need to justify the axioms, and some of that justification is based on intution or pragmatic experience.

If Eskew will allow me to take the axioms of Peano Arithmetic as "true", I can justify other arithmetical statements that I can't prove directly from PA by various other means. For example, in the discussion on physics I showed how we might get EVIDENCE for statements of logical type as high as Sigma^0_4 from performing physical experiments (though Quantum Electrodynamics turns out to be less useful for this than I'd hoped). I'd be interested in hearing how far Eskew and others are willing to go in accepting axioms as "true" with no qualification or interpretive subtleties: is there any doubt about the truth of a theorem of PA? Is there any doubt about the "truth" of the Robertson-Seymour Graph Minor theorem, which has an arithmetical form but cannot be proved in PA?

-- JS