[FOM] Question about theoretical physics

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Sun Feb 24 08:00:01 EST 2013

A lot of people have written very good more detailed comments on this.
 I just want to add Arthur Jaffe's summary.  This has been the
consensus among nearly everyone involved, for decades even as there
has been huge technical progress:

"the success of relativistic field theory calculations and of
perturbative renormalization also led to a logical puzzle: is there
any physically-relevant, relativistic quantum field theory that is
also mathematically consistent? ....  For the time being, all these
methods remain beyond the realm of full understanding."  (CONSTRUCTIVE
QUANTUM FIELD THEORY, on line at
http://www.arthurjaffe.com/Assets/pdf/CQFT.pdf).

Here "constructive" means "construable" as in "construable in
physically-relevant terms."

colin