[FOM] A proof that ZFC has no any omega-models

Joe Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Mon Feb 18 15:29:48 EST 2013

The difference is that we don't build L_\alpha but M_\alpha which uses a more restrictive set of operations; in particular, you don't necessarily get new sets at each level. Godel's construction makes sure each level of L properly extends the earlier ones, but this is not needed for M. Details are on pp. 104-105 of Cohen's book.

Solovay did not settle the question of whether ZFC proves the continuum does not have a total measure, he just showed that that is true iff ZFC disproves a measurable cardinal. And he did not need the existence of large cardinals to obtain this arithmetical result. Although not all arithmetical consequences of large cardinals follow from the consistency of the cardinals and don't require their actual existence, this particular arithmetical consequence   (absence of a ZFC disproof of a total measure on the continuum) requires only consistency of the measurable cardinal.

My more general point is that assuming models exist satisfying large cardinal axioms involves a much more concrete type of statement than assuming the cardinals themselves exist (since such models may be considered objects in second-order arithmetic), and therefore is a more palatable assumption to those mathematicians who question the definiteness of statements involving actual large cardinals. I am not claiming that this would change mathematical practice significantly, I am just saying that we should not assume more than we need to.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone