[FOM] Mendelson's missing appendix on the consistency of PA

Peter Smith ps218 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 13:45:43 EST 2013

Before posting the question here I did search around a bit (probably
inefficiently and certainly quite ineffectively) to see if I could find an
email for Elliott Mendelson to ask him directly! But anyway, he picked up
my query and very kindly wrote to me:

> I was intrigued by your comments about the consistency proof of PA that
> appeared in the First Edition of my logic book. I omitted it in later
> editions because I felt that the topic needed a much more thorough
> treatment than what I had given, a treatment that would require more
> space than would be appropriate in an introduction to mathematical logic.

I can understand that. Though I think the pointers he gave in that Appendix
did spur on quite a few readers to find out more, so I still think it was a
Very Good Thing, and it was perhaps a pity to drop it.

[Prof. Mendelson has kindly allowed me to quote him.]
--
Dr Peter Smith
www.logicmatters.net