[FOM] extramathematical notions and the CH

Aatu Koskensilta Aatu.Koskensilta at uta.fi
Tue Feb 5 18:15:52 EST 2013

Quoting "Timothy Y. Chow" <tchow at alum.mit.edu>:

> No, certainly not.  The evidence I had in mind was, people have
> looked for a contradiction and haven't found one.

   If this is all the evidence we have for the consistency of (say)
ZFC, why shouldn't we with equal conviction conclude e.g. that the
Riemann hypothesis is not provable in ZFC? After all, people have
looked for a proof and haven't found one.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta at uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"