[FOM] First Order Logic

Charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 31 12:20:26 EDT 2013

	There are several distinct issues afloat on this thread, masquerading as a single one.   They all, to my knowledge (and ignorance), show some lack of understanding of the other issues involved.   Here I will only sort out a few of the many issues that I'm aware of (I'm sure there are others):

1) First-Order Logic,
2) Relevance Logic(s),
3) Intuitionistic Logic,
4) Constructive Logic(s),
5) Paraconsistent Logic(s),
6) Higher Order Logic(s),
7) Second-Order Logic--two distinct types, Strict, and Henkin,
8) Completeness,
10) Consistency,
11) Validity,
12) Soundness,
13) Validity in Large Software Systems.

	   I will comment only on 5) and 13), just to say that the moderator wrote to us on 8/30:

"After discussions with the editors we've decided to end the thread on paraconsistent logics [i.e., 5) above] and their possible connection with certain problems of large software systems [13]. Our opinion is that the polemics are becoming repetitive. People who wish to continue the discussion off-line may write directly to the discussants."

	   I'm of the opinion that for FOM discussions to continue with any merit, some item(s) need first to be selected among those listed above, perhaps w/ the addition of further distinctions, and with full realization of what we've been told by the moderator about discussing some of the items.

Charlie Silver