[FOM] "Hidden" contradictions

Kreinovich, Vladik vladik at utep.edu
Sun Aug 25 18:00:00 EDT 2013

While there are non-logical way to deal with this problem, there is also a known logic-based solution to this problem, 4-valued logic of Belnap; when one treats all facts in the database as correct and unleash usual logical reasoning on these fact, then the fact that we have both a plane leaving at 12:00 pm and a (typo-induced) statement that the same plane will leave at 12:01 pm, we get a contradiction, and thus, the ability to conclude everything. Belnap avoids the rule that A and not A imply B, and he adds two new truth values: unknown and "true and false" (meaning that we have a record of this statement being true and a record or it being false -- or that we can deduce both true and false).