[FOM] First Order Logic

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 15:59:02 EDT 2013

For any of the usual classical foundational purposes, you need to be able
to get down to finite representations that are completely non problematic.

E.g., one normally uses ZFC, or fragments and extensions of ZFC, for
representing mathematical proofs (and of course sugared according to what
features of proofs one wants to represent).

The first order form of such a T is important, because then a proof within
T is a definite finite object that can be objectively tested for
correctness, with no disagreements possible. (Of course, in practice, one
does not usually, but sometimes one has, an actual correct proof in the
appropriate sense. But that leads us into rather different issues
concerning proof assistants, etc.).

Imagine the situation if one proposed a second order version of ZFC, in the
serious sense of second order here (not the fake notion used in so called
second order arithmetic, where it is simply a two sorted first order
theory). There would be widespread disagreement about whether a purported
proof within second order ZFC is correct or not. This directly stems from
the fact that it is not a first order formulation.

Insisting on a first order formulation here is also fruitful - it forces
the disagreements to come to the surface and be focused on.

Furthermore, first order logic is apparently the unique vehicle for such
foundational purposes. (I'm not talking about arbitrary interesting
foundational purposes). However, we still do not know quite how to
formulate this properly in order to establish that first order logic is in
fact the unique vehicle for such foundational purposes.

In summary, whereas it can be interesting and important to give second
order formulations of various theories, ultimately in each case you are
compelled to provide a clarifying first order associate.

Harvey Friedman