[FOM] "Hidden" contradictions

Steven Ericsson-Zenith steven at iase.us
Sat Aug 24 04:32:16 EDT 2013

Mathematics and mathematical logic have dealt with and contained "inconsistencies" all along - and have provided adequate means to reason about them. The inadequacies of software systems will not, it seems to me, be aided by encouraging, or resigning ourselves to, a lack of rigor or disciplined effort in that field.

The problem is not with the available calculi or method. The problem is an engineering one related to human capacity and training.

I cite two passages from Nancy Leveson's well cited paper "The Role of Software in Spacecraft Accidents."

"While formal and executable specification languages have tremendous potential for enhancing our ability to understand the implications of complex software behavior and to provide correct and complete requirements, most of the languages created by computer scientists require too much reviewer training to be practical. A high priority on readability and learnability has not been placed on the development of such languages."

Leveson concludes:

"We need to apply the same good engineering practices to software development that we apply to other engineering technologies while at the same time understanding the differences and making the appropriate changes to handle them. There is no magic in software—it requires hard work and is difficult to do well, ..."

From the formal systems point of view the problem is not just software. This problem would be greatly aided by, and is - in fact - dependent upon, processor and systems manufacturers provided long overdue formal specifications of their computing platforms, upon which the formal properties of software, to which proper methods have been applied, may be shown to be preserved.

Regards,
Steven

--
	Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith
	Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering