[FOM] R: A historical question about notation

iao271055 at libero.it iao271055 at libero.it
Thu Aug 22 05:09:01 EDT 2013

Dear Thomas Forster,

Russell's notation originates mainly from Peano. If you have a look at G.
Peano, 'The principles of arithmetic, presented by a new method', especially
sections II and IV, in: J. van Heijenoort (ed:), 'From Frege to Goedel',
Harvard University Press, 1967, pp. 83-97, I am confident you will find the
answer to your questions. One very important thing to keep in mind for
questions about notation is that Peano wrote the book in latin, its original
title being: Arithmetices principia.

Best wishes,

Gianluigi Oliveri