[FOM] A historical question about notation

Thomas Kucera Thomas.Kucera at umanitoba.ca
Thu Aug 22 00:33:30 EDT 2013

I'm hesitant to rely on Wikipedia altogether, but re (5):

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_universe>

attributes V (for "verum", 'true', 'reality') to Peano, 1889.

There is a brief, interesting account of the earliest (known to the author of the page) uses of the symbols of logic and set theory at

<http://jeff560.tripod.com/set.html>

which attributes cup and cap for union and intersection again to Peano, 1888, much preceding the earliest use of \vee for 'or' (Russell, 1906, 1908) and \wedge for 'and' (Heyting, 1930).