[FOM] "Hidden" contradictions

henk henk at cs.ru.nl
Mon Aug 19 14:06:47 EDT 2013

To Charlie:

The inconsistency is having infinitesimals
h <1/n, for all n,
but with h=/=0. This is impossible for a real number.
The later added infinitesimals provide one way out.

To Antonino Drago:

All right: Cauchy did the first step and Weiserstrass and Dedkind
completed it.
Poincare' calls Weiserstrass a 'logician', in a somewhat negative sense
(meaning less creative than mathematicians); but then he adds: 'but we
need logicians'. I'd agree with both statements.

Henk