[FOM] Retraction: no objection to Friedman's Concept Calculus Paper

Frode Bjørdal frode.bjordal at ifikk.uio.no
Sun Aug 18 15:33:42 EDT 2013

Friedman in private communication points out that his original definition
of y>exPhi works. He is absolutely right! It is indeed straightforward to
show that y>exPhi under Friedman's original definition entails y>Phi, and
this takes the sting out of my earlier posted objection.

My interest in the Concept Calculus was indicated in my post Remarks on the
Concept Calculus,
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2013-August/017473.html, and stems from
my own use of an important earlier 1973 work by Friedman referred to there
in order to show that my own foundational system librationism,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7b3bdh6o3ut6ewb/Librationist%20Closures%20of%20the%20Paradoxes.pdf,
*soberly* interprets ZF if ZF has a standard model; I lectured on this at
the UNILOG2013 in April in Rio de Janeiro and material is available for
those interested.

Friedman usefully points out that there are some matters to learn from the
exchange. Firstly, inquire offlist before publishing criticism as the
moderator may not always exercise sufficient caution, and, secondly, do not
automatically assume that there is merit to criticism. One may consider
that it had been useful to me, and perhaps to others, had y>exPhi => y>Phi
been included as a lemma or an easy exercise.

I am still interested in whether the Concept Calculus is most naturally
interpreted by something like Friedman's S of 1973.

Frode Bjørdal