[FOM] "Hidden" contradictions

henk henk at cs.ru.nl
Thu Aug 15 18:18:27 EDT 2013

Calculus by Leibniz is inconsistent. Yet using this theory he, and
notably Euler, made---with the right intuition---wonderful predictions.
It took Cauchy (epsilon delta) and later non-standard analysis to remove
the (most obvious) inconsistency.

The use of this later work is to make it more easy to formulate what is
the right intuition.

Henk