[FOM] "Hidden" contradictions

Mark Steiner mark.steiner at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Aug 14 16:57:51 EDT 2013

I appreciate this response.  However, my physicist friends tell me that
the theory known as QED is thought to be inconsistent, but people use it
anyway, with great success in predictions.  I think what this means is the
claim that there is no way to formalize QED in a consistent axiomatic
system.  If this is right, then there is a sense in which formal systems
do play some kind of role in physics.