[FOM] R: Re: Seeking sage advice on terminology

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Fri Aug 9 01:34:41 EDT 2013

Thanks to everyone for a lot of helpful answers.   It has really helped and
forced me to think about the issue.    "Elementary proof" seems to me an
important idea but it is pretty ambiguous in usage now: maybe a proof
informally stated in terms of PA, which transparently could be put into in
PA.  But how informality or transparently?

With help from people here and on MathOverflow and from Kreisel's writings
 I have come to think of a elementary proof in number theory as a second
order argument using arithmetic comprehension, so you can see how to
formalize it in $ACA_0$.  That is more than i want to explain in the
expository paper I am writing now.    I am not sure what I will do.

Again, thanks.

Colin