[FOM] R: Re: Seeking sage advice on terminology

iao271055 at libero.it iao271055 at libero.it
Wed Aug 7 04:04:02 EDT 2013

Dear Colin,
How about using the traditional distinction between elementary and non-elementary proofs of a mathematical assertion A? If by 'elementary proof of an assertion A belonging to the language of a mathematical theory T' we mean a proof of A carried out entirely within T, it seems to me that a proof of 'T |- A' is not elementary (in the above sense).  At present we only have a non-elementary proof of Fermat Last Theorem.
Best wishes,
Gianluigi Oliveri