[FOM] A question on fields

Joe Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Mon Aug 5 16:59:09 EDT 2013

Correction – I shouldn't have said the axioms for ordered fields, just the axioms for fields are enough. If you take away the axiom that polynomials of degree 2 have roots, leaving in the axioms for odd primes, then you need to add the order relation and its axioms so that you can get a complete  axiomatization of real closed fields by adding the axiom that positive elements have square roots.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone