[FOM] MWPMW 14

Michael Detlefsen martin at eipye.com
Thu Aug 1 18:34:37 EDT 2013

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

This is a reminder that the fourteenth annual Midwest PhilMath
Workshop (MWPMW 14), will be held at the University of
Illinois-Urbana/Champaign the weekend of Saturday, October 5th and
Sunday, October 6th, 2013. As usual, the plan is to schedule a full
day of talks and discussions for Saturday and a half day for Sunday.
Also as usual, there will be a workshop dinner Saturday evening, with
all participants being invited to attend as guests of the workshop.

Please make your hotel reservations in a timely manner. Information
is available at the following:

<http://institucional.us.es/apmp/index_APMP2013.htm.>http://institucional.us.es/apmp/index_APMP2013.htm

In addition, the following hotels have blocks of rooms reserved for
the Math/Philosophy Conferences (call local line to reserve within the block):

<http://www.hawthorn.com/hotels/illinois/champaign/hawthorn-suites-by-wyndham-champaign/hotel-overview>Hawthorne
Suites is within a one mile walk of the meetings and campus

<http://www.eastlandsuitesurbana.com/index.cfm/id:5>Eastland Suites
and
<http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/urbana/cmiub/hoteldetail>Holiday
Inn (both of which are further off campus, but have shuttle service
available to campus).

Other hotels that do not have blocks available, but should have rooms
available include:

<http://homewoodsuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/illinois/homewood-suites-by-hilton-champaign-urbana-CMIHWHW/index.html>Homewood
Suites

<http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/index.html>Hilton
Garden,<http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/illinois/hampton-inn-champaign-urbana-CMIILHX/index.html>Hampton
Inn and

<http://www.urbanahotel.net/>Urbana Landmark Hotel

These are all within ~1 mile walking distance to campus.

If you would like to give a talk, please email a pdf of your talk or
substantial summary to Paddy Blanchette
(<mailto:blanchette.1 at nd.edu>blanchette.1 at nd.edu), Tim Bays
(<mailto:bays.5 at nd.edu>bays.5 at nd.edu), Curtis Franks
(<mailto:cfranks at nd.edu>cfranks at nd.edu), Andy Arana
(<mailto:andrew.arana at gmail.com>andrew.arana at gmail.com), Tim McCarthy
(<mailto:tgmccart at illinois.edu>tgmccart at illinois.edu) and me
(<mailto:mdetlef1 at nd.edu>mdetlef1 at nd.edu). We would like to have all
proposals for talks by August 7th (note two day extension) so we can
set the program by August 15th. Talks should be 35--40 minutes, with
15--20 minutes left for discussion.

Let me emphasize that the change of location for this year's meeting
does not signify a continuing change for the MWPMW. Next year's
meeting---MWPMW 15---will again be at Notre Dame, as usual. There are
two reasons for the change of venue this year. The first was a
request from our colleagues at the U of Illinois to host the MWPMW in
conjunction with the APMP meeting noted below. The second concerns a
major and lengthy renovation of the Morris Inn, the principal hotel
at Notre Dame. This renovation began last fall and is scheduled to
continue through the summer. This has caused major headaches for the
conference management folks at Notre Dame. In light of this and the
kind invitation from the U of Illinois, it seemed that changing
venues for this year's meeting would be a good idea. We hope you agree.

In due course, a website for MWPMW 14 will be up, and you'll be able
to keep up with developments there. I'll send a direct link in a
later note. You'll also be able to get to it by following obvious
links on the Notre Dame Philosophy Department's web pages
(<http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/>http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/).

That's it for now. I hope the new summer is off to a good start for
you, and I look forward to seeing you at MWPMW 14 and the APMP
meeting in October. I'll be in contact with you further as things proceed.

Cordially,

Mic Detlefsen
Director, MWPMW 14

P.S. Directly preceding the MWPMW 14, there will be a meeting of the
Association for the Philosophy of Mathematical Practice (APMP). This
meeting will take place on Thursday, October 3rd and Friday, October
4th, 2013. For more information consult the APMP conference
announcement at:
<http://institucional.us.es/apmp/index_APMP2013.htm>http://institucional.us.es/apmp/index_APMP2013.htm