[FOM] Seeking sage advice on terminology

Nik Weaver nweaver at math.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 1 13:21:42 EDT 2013

Colin,

I'm writing a book on forcing right now and have a similar issue.
The terminological distinction I am using is "theorem" versus
"metatheorem".  Once that terminology is set up I don't find it
necessary to use different terms for proof of theorems and proofs
of metatheorems.

If saying "FLT is a theorem (of PA)" and "PA |- FLT is a metatheorem
(of your metatheory)" doesn't solve your problem, perhaps you could
use the term "metaproof" for a proof in the metatheory.

Nik