[FOM] A question about infinite sets

Noah David Schweber schweber at math.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 17 01:13:00 EDT 2012

If I understand the recursion-theory version of the question correctly,
there can be no such pair of sets. For suppose C were an infinite r.e.
subset of AxB. Let C={c_0, c_1, . . .} be a computable enumeration of C,
and let c_i(0) (resp. c_i(1)) denote the left (resp. right) component of
c_i. Since C is infinite, one of the following sets must be infinite:

D:={c_i(0): i is a natural number} or E:={c_i(1): i is a natural number}.

Now D is clearly a subset of A, and E is clearly a subset of B, and D and
E are both r.e. since C is, so either A or B must have an infinite r.e.
subset.

 - Noah Schweber

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/107215/monomorphisms-from-natural-numbers-objects-into-products