[FOM] Question about Conservative Extensions

Noah David Schweber schweber at math.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 13 22:57:23 EDT 2012

I might be terribly confused, but isn't the following a simple
counterexample?

Take T1 to be the theory - with signature consisting of two unary
predicates U and V - asserting that U and V partition the universe into two
disjoint infinite sets.

Now consider the expanded language with an added unary function symbol, f,
and the theory in this expanded language T2 consisting of T1 + "f is a
bijection from U to V."

T2 is a conservative extension of T1; but if we consider a model of T1 in
which U is countable and V is uncountable, then this model cannot be
extended to a model of T2.

Does this work?

 - Noah