[FOM] Question about Conservative Extensions

John Baldwin jbaldwin at uic.edu
Thu Sep 13 22:03:07 EDT 2012

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012, Richard Heck wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I was introducing my students today to model-theoretic proofs that some
> theory is a conservative extension of another, and one of them asked me, in
> effect, when the converse of the usual argument is also true, i.e.: If T2 is
> a conservative extension of T1, can every model of T1 always be expanded to a
> model of T2? I believe the answer must be "no", and that models of PA that do
> not have satisfaction classes would provide one counter-example. Is that
> right? If not, are there other examples? And even if so, are there (much)
> simpler examples?

Let T be the complete theory which says that E_1 is an equivalence
relation which has infinitely many infinite extensions. Since it is
complete, any extension is conservative.  Let T_1 be the extension in a
language with one further binary relation E_2 that asserts that E_2 is
also an equivalenc relation and that each E_2
class intersects each E_1 class in exactly one element.

The only models of T_1 that can be expanded to models of T_2 are those
where every class has the same size.

John T. Baldwin
Professor Emeritus
Department of Mathematics, Statistics,