[FOM] Question about Conservative Extensions

Richard Heck rgheck at brown.edu
Thu Sep 13 12:10:58 EDT 2012

Hi, all,

I was introducing my students today to model-theoretic proofs that some
theory is a conservative extension of another, and one of them asked me,
in effect, when the converse of the usual argument is also true, i.e.:
If T2 is a conservative extension of T1, can every model of T1 always be
expanded to a model of T2? I believe the answer must be "no", and that
models of PA that do not have satisfaction classes would provide one
counter-example. Is that right? If not, are there other examples? And
even if so, are there (much) simpler examples?

Thanks,
Richard Heck

--
Richard G Heck Jr