[FOM] Reprinting the classics

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 9 12:22:01 EDT 2012

Sam Sanders wrote:

> Which other books (e.g. in Math. Logic) should be reprinted, according
> to the FOM community?

At one point I tried to find a general solution to this question.  I got
Klaus Schmid interested enough that he put up a prototype page here:

http://outofprintmath.blogspot.com/

Ideally, I think this kind of website should be wikified, and/or
integrated into bookselling websites (so that, for example, people
searching for an out-of-print book would be able to vote publicly to bring
it back into print).  I made a few stabs at this, and succeeded in getting
a few books back into print (Welsh's Matroid Theory, Cassels and
Frohlich's Algebraic Number Theory), but eventually decided that it would
require a bigger investment of time and energy than I was willing to put
in at the time, but I remain hopeful that someone will take up the baton.

Tim