[FOM] Logical Correctness/ Chow

Lotfi A. Zadeh zadeh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 26 19:08:28 EST 2012

Dear Tim:

Thank you for your comment. Your comment is valid if p is a crisp
proposition. In this case, as you point out, my question has a trivial

My question--and related questions--are non-trivial when p is a fuzzy
proposition. In this case, my questions fall within the province of
fuzzy modal logic, fuzzy logic and possibility theory. A point at issue
is whether fuzzy modal logic is capable of coming up with answers to my
questions. Vaughn thinks so, but I have doubts. There is a reason. If
pis a fuzzy proposition, assessment of its truthvalue in a possible
world is a non-trivial problem. Does fuzzy modal logic address this
problem? Example. p: Robert is much richer than most of his friends.
Representation of meaning ofpropositions of this level of complexity
falls within the province of fuzzy logic.

When p is a fuzzy proposition, possibility ceases to be a bivalent
concept. Can fuzzy Kripke semantics deal with sentences like: It is
quite possible that Robert is rich. As you can see, we enter unchartered

     It is a sobering thought that dealing with simple sentences
drawnfrom everyday discourse may well be beyond the reach of fuzzy modal

Lotfi A. Zadeh
Professor Emeritus
Director, Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC)

729 Soda Hall #1776
Computer Science Division
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
zadeh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tel.(office): (510) 642-4959