[FOM] Logical Correctness

Charlie silver_1 at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 22 15:25:55 EST 2012

	  Take Zadeh's assertion below that "p is a factual proposition".  On what seems a standard reading, p could be true or false, depending on facts.  Thus, p is (factually) possible.

	 Then, the antecedent of "If it is impossible that p, then it is possible that p" is false, making the material conditional true.

	  I'm aware Zadeh probably interprets these things non-standardly, but I don't know what sorts of interpretations he has in this case.  A start would be to explain "factual statements" in some way so they could be impossible.   Otherwise, as mentioned, the conditional is trivially true.

	   Basing my guess on his well-known, fuzzy analysis of "tall," I'd assume he may want to apply the same sort of evaluation on "impossible," such that there's no single impossibility, but grades of impossibilities.   Maybe something could be fuzzily "impossible," meaning something like: more impossible than possible.  --->  But I'm just guessing.  I'd be interested in his telling us his ideas about this.

Charlie Silver